Wednesday, July 17, 2013
7 Autocannon Havocs Completed Last Saturday - CSMs Completed for Valhalla!
Just wanted to let you know that I got the 7 Night Lords Autocannon Havocs completed this past Saturday, July 13th, 2013. This took the better part of a full week to complete, but I'm happy with the results and to finally get these guys done.
That means that the Chaos Space Marines portion of my goal for getting painted armies ready for August Valhalla is complete!
When I left my FLGS last Saturday, I was a little bummed out, as I had planned on painting 5 more Night Lords Havocs, 3 with Missile Launchers and 2 Aspiring Champions, but these 7 Autocannon Havocs took me about two days longer than I'd anticpated they would to complete. That meant that the remaining 5 would take longer than I'd planned for them, up to and probably a full week, and that would put me way behind schedule, whereby I might not get enough of my Daemons painted in time to really play them the way I'd like to at Valhalla. I managed to get a base coat of Kantor Blue on the remaining 5 Havocs Saturday night after I'd finished the 7 Autocannon Havocs, but even that took longer than I'd expected.
However, as I was trying to get to sleep last Saturday night, I had an epiphany: I had added the 3 Missile Launchers as a stretch goal a few weeks ago, and I had two perfectly good Aspiring Champions that I could use in lieu of the 2 Havoc-specific ones that I had built to go with these forces. The only problem with the two existing ACs is that they have power swords, but I feel that it's easier to say "I didn't pay the points for those power swords, so we'll just treat them as chainswords" than it is to say "That model actually has X, even though it's not modeled on it" when playing a friendly game.
So, to my great relief, I decided to make finishing the 5 remaining Havocs a stretch goal, and to declare that after three months of nearly constant work in the evenings and on Saturdays, my Chaos Space Marines forces that I plan on taking to and playing at Valhalla are finally completed!
So, onward and forward! I spent a few hours on Sunday assembling the remaining 6 Forge World Plague Toads that I'll be using as Beasts of Nurgle, but couldn't get any work done Monday as I had to pick my wife up at the airport that evening. Last night, Tuesday, I managed to get these little guys primed white before the daily monsoon hit the Phoenix East Valley, and finished putting the legs and wings on the second batch of Plague Drones, plus getting the Plaguebearer riders for this second batch of Drones completely built. All in all, a very good, albeit long evening of work. Tonight I plan on starting to paint and wash the 6 Plague Toads that I primed last night, and get the final details of the first batch of Drones (stingers, horns, weapons on the Plaguebearers) finished while waiting for some of that wash to dry so I can press on with working on the Toads.
At this point in time, if I can keep on this schedule and don't suffer any unforeseeable delays, I will get all 9 Plague Toads, all 6 Plague Drones, at least 20 more Plaguebearers, and at least one Forge World Nurgle Plague Hulk (which I will use as a Soul Grinder) completed in time for Valhalla. With a bit of luck, I'll get the second Plague Hulk finished, as well, although I might need to rope a friend or two into helping out with the Hulks in order to get them done before I have to leave for UT on August 25th. I don't want to go that route, as I prefer to paint all of my stuff myself (with a few notable exceptions, which I will cover in a future post), but push might come to shove and I might have to swallow my pride and get a bit of last-minute help.
Anyway, that's the most recent news. Sorry it's taken me so long to get this post up (since last Saturday), but I've been busy with work and a bit under the weather. But, only 2.5 hours left in this work day, and then I'll be able to head out to my FLGS and get cracking on those Toads!
Stay tuned, and as always, please feel free to leave a comment!